photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Transformation Tuesday and Binge Eating


Happy Transformation Tuesday!  Below you will find my progress pic for the week.  I did not want to post this picture, but I did.  Check out my new workout capris.  They are from Running Funky and they make cute designs in PLUS sizes!!!  AWESOME!
This week is National Eating Disorder week.  I never really thought of myself as having an eating disorder until I read more about them.  I thought eating disorder were only anorexia and bulimia, and (I know this is a stereotype) were skinny people.  I, in no way, fit that category.  But read what the National Eating Disorder Association has to see about this disorder called "binge eating" :

Binge Eating Disorder

Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is a type of eating disorder that is characterized by recurrent binge eating without the regular use of compensatory measures to counter the binge eating.
Symptoms
  • Frequent episodes of consuming very large amount of food but without behaviors to prevent weight gain, such as self-induced vomiting.
  • A feeling of being out of control during the binge eating episodes.
  • Feelings of strong shame or guilt regarding the binge eating.
  • Indications that the binge eating is out of control, such as eating when not hungry, eating to the point of discomfort, or eating alone because of shame about the behavior.
Health Consequences of Binge Eating Disorder
The health risks of BED are most commonly those associated with clinical obesity.  Some of the potential health consequences of binge eating disorder include:
  • High blood pressure
  • High cholesterol levels
  • Heart disease
  • Diabetes mellitus
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Musculoskeletal problems
About Binge Eating Disorder
  • The prevalence of BED is estimated to be approximately 1-5% of the general population.
  • Binge eating disorder affects women slightly more often than men--estimates indicate that about 60% of people struggling with binge eating disorder are female, 40% are male
  • People who struggle with binge eating disorder can be of normal or heavier than average weight.
  • BED is often associated with symptoms of depression.
  • People struggling with binge eating disorder often express distress, shame, and guilt over their eating behaviors.
  • People with binge eating disorder report a lower quality of life than non-binge eating disorder.
The symptoms almost all apply (applied) to me.  I am (was) a binge eater.  I ate all the time when I was not hungry.  I hid my binges from others.  I ate ALL of my emotions: happy, sad, or mad.  I say this in the present and past tense as I will ALWAYS struggle with this disorder.  But, an important step I have taken in acknowledging I have a problem and I am more aware of what I am doing now.  My quality of life was not good 15 months ago.  I HATED myself, I did not think I was worth anything, I always thought people were judging me and making fun of me.  I was depressed, tired, and just wanted to sleep my life away.  I was tired and jealous of watching other people be able to enjoy the things I could not.  NOW, I say all this, but I am not "cured" or "fixed."  A HUGE part of this journey is learning to accept myself no matter what size I am or what the number on the scale says.  The same site mentioned above has numerous resources for promoting a positive self-body image.  I will be sharing these on my blog over the next few weeks.  I am learning all this as I go and I want to share with all of you as well!



CHANGE IN PLANS: I have decided that in order to make my life and schedule a little easier, I am changing the way I post my daily food and exercise.  So each day, I will post the day before's information.  This frees me up to post my blog at anytime during the day.  So I am skipping that info today, but it will be back tomorrow!!

That is it for today! Stay tuned tomorrow for a WOWZER Wednesday story! Sending you all love and healthy wishes!

Keep Losing,
Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment