photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Meet Someone Who Inspires Me

Happy Hump Day!!!!!  Hope everyone is having a good week.  My boys have their Christmas concert tonight for band and I am excited!  Youngest plays trombone and the oldest plays percussion.  Today has been a good day and I have got a lot done!

Today, a fellow I follow on Facebook posted his story.  Let me tell you, he is a HUGE inspiration to me.  He was open and honest and shared his journey.  He received some NASTY response to his post.  I am going to share his story today and ask that you show him support.  He started Weight Watchers in January of 2012 and has lost over 280 pounds so far!  AMAZING, right!  So here is his  post from the morning.  You can check out his Facebook page by clicking here.
(PLEASE SHARE!) I hope my story can inspire others that you too, can lose weight! No matter how much you weight you have to lose, if you take the correct steps and have dedication, you will succeed! In addition, I also hope that a doctor/hospital will come across my story and help me get the excess skin removal surgery done.

I am Stephen Pagano, I am 25 years old, and I have been struggling with my weight most of my life. As of Sunday (12/15/13), I've lost a total of 281 lbs pounds since January 2nd, 2012. I started my weight loss journey at 601.4 pounds, and I currently weight 320.4 lbs. All this was done on my own through Weight Watchers without any surgeries, shots, or pills. My ultimate goal is to weigh 180 pounds.

At this point in my journey, while it is quite obvious that I have lost a huge amount of weight, excess skin continues to weigh me down. As I continue along my weight loss path, I am hoping a plastic surgeon will step forward to help me out when it comes time for me to have that excess skin removed. Since I am 25 and will soon be losing my health insurance, I will need to have it done pro bono. I don’t just need the surgery for strictly cosmetic reasons, but physically, it will take a lot of weight off of my back.

I am not just seeking a hand-out. I am doing plenty for myself. So far, since starting this weight loss journey, I've changed the way I approach food. I am opened to trying new foods because I realize this is a lifelong process of changing the way I approach eating. I still eat what I want, but in much smaller portions. Tracking and measuring food is the key to my weight loss success. I struggled at 601 pounds walking and breathing and lived with daily multiple pains. I had just started riding the electric cart at grocery stores and I realized I cannot continue existing this way any more, or I would eventually be completely immobile.. Another thing I missed out on because of my weight is graduating high school. I was mocked and bullied and couldn't fit in a normal sized desk. I ended up dropping out. This year, with my new found confidence, I took the GED exam and passed on the first try.

Since losing 281 pounds I can walk and ride my bike to the local grocery store and I don’t require an electric cart. I can walk around amusement parks, and now I able to ride all of the coasters at Busch Gardens and Sea World and leave without having any back or feet problems after. I am finally living my life. I don’t snore anymore; have little to no pains related to being obese. I realize I have a long way to go, but I feel like I am on the right path to weight loss success.

I owe most of my weight loss success to what I've learned in the Weight Watchers meetings, and the electronic etools they provide on the smart phone and computer. I couldn't have done it without my Weight Watchers leader, group support, and other Weight Watcher staff members. I realized through this process that I have an amazing amount of self-determination to succeed and when I set a goal I accomplish it.


Here are a few questions people have asked me.

Who was Stephen Pagano and why did you allow yourself to get that large?

I was a person who didn't care what I looked like or who liked me. I didn't care about my life and after I dropped out of high school, I let myself go. I was a high school drop out who didn't have a job and I had nothing better to do, but eat. When I hit the 400 pound mark, I had the idea that I wouldn't be able to lose the weight because losing 200 pounds seemed pretty unrealistic at the time for me. I was always offered information about the gastric bypass surgery as an option to lose weight, but I was more frightened over the overall surgery and risks. At age 20, and probably around 500 pounds, I had the mindset that I would eventually die. I didn't want to be bothered with losing the weight because I felt like I would die trying, so I didn't, I continued to allow my weight to increase.

What do you think made you turn to food?

My weight started going up around age 5. This was around the time my father visited me from New Jersey and showed more attention to my sister. I started using food as a comfort because I felt like since I didn't have attention or a bond with my father, food would always be there for me.

Who is Stephen Pagano now?

I am a completely different person now. I am on a mission to not go back to what I use to be. I'm more active and unafraid of things. I have been enjoying life and eating healthier portion sizes. I have new confidence in myself and I try to inspire others because I know any goal can be accomplished, I am living proof!

Stephen, you keep doing what you are doing!  YOU inspire me and I know you inspire many other people.  You are awesome!!!!!!! I pray that all of your dreams come true!!  Know that I am on your side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Readers, SHARE this story.  Together WE can inspire others by letting them know they are not alone in their journey!  

That is all for tonight!!!  Got to go see the band concert!!!

Sending Love and healthy thoughts!

Keep Losing,
Kari


No comments:

Post a Comment