photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Name is Kari and I am an addict!



Today’s post is going to be a little hard to write.  I will be sharing some things I have never told anyone before.  Today I want to talk about why I got fat in the first place.  I watch shows like the Biggest Loser and almost always the contestants have some breakdown that helps realize why they got overweight.  I really have not one particular thing to pinpoint in my life.  I had a great childhood with very loving parents.  I have had a few tragic things happen in my life, but I was overweight before those things even happened so I can’t blame those.  One thing I do know is that I have very low self-esteem.  I always feel like I do not fit in anywhere.  I felt (and sometimes still feel) like I had to be somebody other than who I really was to be a part of a group.  Food liked me no matter what and it became my best friend.  It was there for me when I was happy, sad, mad, etc.  Food didn’t judge me for anything.  It comforted me and made me feel good (or so I thought).  I realize now that I am a food addict.  The dictionary defines addiction as the “compulsive need for and use of a habit-forming substance (as heroin, nicotine, or alcohol) characterized by tolerance and by well-defined physiological symptoms upon withdrawal;broadly : persistent compulsive use of a substance known by the user to be harmful.”  Food was my drug.  I was so addicted that I would stop every morning and buy 2-3 Little Debbie snack cakes to eat on the way to work and sometimes even stop on the way home for more or stop at McDonald’s for an iced coffee and cookies.  I would hide the evidence from everyone.  I would buy candy and junk and hide it in my house and eat when no one was around.  After I would eat like that, I would feel so guilty and bad about myself, but I kept up the cycle.  I have done Weight Watchers so many different times and I as successful, but I never gave up my addiction.  I would weigh-in and then celebrate by eating some fattening snack cake or candy because I knew I had another week before I had to weight again.  It is really hard to admit these things, but I know I am not the only one who has ever had this problem and we need to learn to talk about these things.  I am ashamed that I ate myself to 402 pounds.  I have no excuses for those behaviors, but I have learned from them.  I am slowly learning that people do like me for who I really am and I am starting to make some true friends.  I am learning that there are other ways to celebrate my emotions besides food.  I am learning that I have trigger foods that I MUST stay away from.  I can eat anything I want on Weight Watchers, but there are some things I know will set off my addiction (like the Nutty Bar my husband stuck in my face this morning, and I proudly said “NO”). Now on weigh-in day, I celebrate with a skinny latte from Starbucks (3 points) and for every 25 pounds I buy myself something new for my fitness room.  I am not cured and I do not think I ever will be, but recognizing the problem is an important step.  I am on a journey that will last the rest of my life.

On a more positive note, I worked out yesterday and today!  Also, last night while the hubby and boys were watching TV in the A/C, I took a 2 mile walk up our street (which is very hilly).  My legs were sore this morning!! But it was a good sore, an I accomplished something sore!

Well I have rambled enough for one day!  Thanks to all my true friends and supporters out there.  It makes me feel like I am not alone in my journey.

Keep Losing,

Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment