photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

What I Ate Wednesday - 2 "New to Me" Recipes

My new favorite lunch obsession has been the grocery store next door to my gym.  They have a fresh salad bar that is AMAZING!  They even have fresh fruit!  Every day that I go to the gym, I have been walking over and fixing a salad for my lunch! YUM!


I tried two new recipes for dinners this week and I loved them both.  So I thought I would share them with you all this week!

On Monday night, I made this layered pasta bake from Emily Bites.  I forgot to take my own picture, so I am sharing the original from her site.  The only change I made was not layering the ingredients.  I am apparently not that talented and just stirred them all together.  This was SUPER yummy and I will definitely make it again!


Layered Pasta Bake
yield: 8 SERVINGS

INGREDIENTS:

1 (13.25 oz) box of wheat or fiber enriched penne
1 lb 95% lean ground beef
1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
1 t sugar
½ t dried basil
½ t oregano
Salt, to taste
1/3 c water
1 c fat free sour cream
4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
½ c scallions, chopped
1 c shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS:

Pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Cook pasta according to directions on box, then drain and set aside.
While water heats for the pasta, in a large sauté pan, cook the ground beef over medium heat, breaking up beef until it is completely browned. Drain grease from pan if necessary. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, basil, oregano, salt and water. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the sour cream, cream cheese and egg and mix together until smooth and thoroughly combined. Add in the chopped scallions and stir.
Spread a thin layer of the sauce mixture across the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top this with a layer of the cooked penne. Spread half the sour cream mixture over the top of the pasta. Top with a layer of the meat sauce. Repeat the layers again starting with the pasta. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.

WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PLUS:
9 per serving (P+ calculated using the recipe builder on weightwatchers.com)

NUTRITION INFORMATION:
384 calories, 47 g carbs, 10 g fat, 26 g protein, 7 g fiber (from myfitnesspal.com)


Tuesday night, I made an Enchilada Quinoa Bake that I saw on Pinterest. (click here for original recipe) I was a bit skeptical as there was no meat in this recipe (which is a no-no with my family). BUT OMGLMNOP, this was SO delicious and I will definitely be making this again! One change I made to the original recipe was adding my tomato and avocado to the entire mixture and baking it all together. And the serving size is huge, 1/6 of the entire 9x13 pan! I put a small dollop of sour cream on the top of mine!



    Quinoa Enchilada Bake
    6 servings
    INGREDIENTS
    1 cup quinoa
    1 can (10-ounce) mild enchilada sauce
    1 can (4.5-ounce) chopped green chiles, drained
    1/2 cup canned corn kernels, drained
    1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced
    1 Roma tomato, diced


    INSTRUCTIONS
    In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook quinoa according to package instructions; set aside.
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil an 9x13 baking dish or coat with nonstick spray.
    In a large bowl, combine quinoa, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
    Spread quinoa mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 15 minutes.
    Serve immediately, garnished with avocado and tomato, if desired.
I LOVE trying new recipes and I LOVE sharing with all of you!

Tune in tomorrow for some news regarding some changes I am making to my journey!

Sending you all love and healthy wishes!

Keep Losing,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment