photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Monday, September 15, 2014

Transformation Tuesday - Special Edition

Happy Transformation Tuesday everyone! This is one of my favorite days on social media.  I LOVE seeing all of the transformations photos and stories from men and women who are working to become happier and healthier.

Typically, each Tuesday I share a story of someone who is working hard to become happier and healthier.  Today is going to be a little bit different.  Today I am actually sharing the story of 2 people who have worked hard at transforming me into the person I am today, my parents.  Today is their wedding anniversary.  They have been married for 42 years.  What an amazing accomplishment in the world we live in today!

Here they are 42 years ago today, pledging to love each other through everything good and bad for the rest of their lives. 

So today, my blog is going to tell you the top 5 (out of a million) ways my parents transformed my life and that of my two sisters by the way they lived and loved for the past 42 years together.

1.  SUPPORT: My two younger sisters and I were not always the angels that we are today :).  But no matter what we did or said or how we behaved my parents were ALWAYS there to support us.  Even when we made stupid mistakes and they warned us ahead of time, they were there to pick us back up and remind us that we were loved.  This has taught me to always support my own children and to show compassion to other people no matter what.

2.  COMMITMENT: My parents were young when they married.  My mom had just turned 16 and my dad was 20.  They got married pledging to love, honor, and obey one another through EVERYTHING for the rest of their lives.  Today those words don't always keep their meaning in a marriage.  However, my parents meant those words.  I know they have not only had easy times in their 42 years together, but they stuck with each other.  I also know that they can both drive each other nuts at times, and this is the best example they set for me.  In my first marriage and my current marriage, I have used their example of commitment during those harder times.  Let's face it, when two people begin living together, it is not all unicorns and rainbows.  No matter how "perfect" you are for each other, there are going to be things that DRIVE YOU NUTS! And my parents have taught me that it is okay, but a commitment is a commitment no matter what!

3.  DEDICATION:  Life was not always easy for my parents and my family.  I can remember many nights that my dad was out of town working.  His and my mom's sacrifice and dedication were all for the good of my family.  They both worked very hard at what they did to provide the best life for us three girls.  I am sure they gave up many of the things they wanted in order for us to have the things we needed, but I cannot remember one time they every complained or griped about it.  Their example has taught me that I must be dedicated and prepared to sacrifice my own comforts for the needs of others.  Today, my parents are both retired and can enjoy a few extra luxuries now that their money-draining daughters are all out on their own.  I look forward to planning ahead enough that I can enjoy my retirement as well!

4.  UNCONDITIONAL LOVE: As I mentioned in number 1, my sisters and I were not always the angels we are today.  Not only did our parents support us, but they showed us unconditional love each and everyday.  And not only to us girls, but to many, many people that maybe did not deserve their love.  My parents taught us that love is not only an act, not only what we do for others or how we feel or what we say.  It is a deep down, real thing that really cannot be explained.  They may not realize that they taught us this, but they live it everyday.  Even when I remarried after losing my first husband, they took my (step)son in from day 1 as their grandson, no questions asked.  Today you would never know that they first met him when he was 5.  There is not one difference in how they treat him versus the other 3 boys and I cannot express how much that means to me and my family.

5.   EXAMPLE:  This is really a summary of the above 4 points.  Life has not always been easy for my parents, but they have been a wonderful example of what marriage truly is: ups and downs, good and bad, laughs and tears, FOR LIFE! Their marriage and lives are an example to many people of what God truly intended marriage to be.

So mom and dad, I want to wish you a very happy 42nd anniversary and thank you for all the things you have done to transform me, Krissy, and Kathy into the women we are today!  I can never find enough words to express how much I love you and how much your love has meant to me!


Here is a quick little video highlighting some of their 42 years together.



Tune in tomorrow for a What I Ate Wednesday post!

Sending you all love and healthy wishes!

Keep Losing,
Kari





1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute to your parents and the power of love.

    ReplyDelete