photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Monday, February 23, 2015

Make A Change Monday - Week 8



Happy Monday!  After a week of being snowed and iced in, the kids went back to school today (after a 2 hour delay).  I actually got out of the house for a little bit today as well.  My doctor called me and moved up my injections for my back to tomorrow! I am nervous, but oh so ready to get some pain relief and get back to exercising!

Before the close of 2014, I signed up for a 52 week challenge that was based on making one small change per week to become a happier and healthier person. This is hosted by a "new to me" site I have been following called the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans.  Click here to go to their challenge page, and check out their site for some other awesome stuff while you are there. This challenge is based off of the book "52 Small Changes: One Year to a Happier, Healthier You" written by Brett Blumenthal.


This week's change may be a challenge to some of us.  This week, we are challenged to eat 4-6 servings of vegetables per day! 

A serving is 1/2 cup of a non-leafy green vegetable and 1 cup of a leafy green vegetable.

Vegetables provide our bodies with vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients. They help fight disease, obesity and aging.

Fibrous vegetables (peppers, carrots, and leafy greens) help with weight management.  They fill you up and help keep you full longer with very few calories.

Vegetables come in many different colors.  The book had a nice chart that showed how the different colors were different phytonutrients and how they benefit our bodies.  Here is one I found on google that gives some of that information:


So EAT THE RAINBOW (and not by eating Skittles, LOL)

One way I try to get veggies in is by sneaking them into my breakfast.  When I make eggs, I put in peppers, onions, and spinach or kale.  If I don't start at breakfast, some days I struggle to get all my servings in.  

Also, if you struggle with keeping fresh veggies, try frozen.  I keep frozen peppers and frozen chopped kale in my freezer all the time to throw into my eggs every morning.  The steam bags of veggies are convenient to toss in the microwave to add to a quick lunch if you are in a hurry!

So here is a summary of our weekly changes so far:
Week 1 - Drink half of your body weight in ounces everyday.
Week 2 - Get 7-8 hours of GOOD sleep each night.
Week 3 - Implement regular and routine activity into your lifestyle.
Week 4 - Keep a food journal.
Week 5 - Develop an optimistic outlook.
Week 6 - Take a multi-vitamin.
Week 7 - Keep the outside out. 
Week 8 - Eat your vegetables.

By making one small change each week this year, we will be making huge steps towards becoming happier and healthier!

I am still on the search for more stories to share for Transformation Tuesday! If you would like a chance to tell your story, click here to fill out the form. I LOVE seeing all of the inspiration and we have to lift each other up! We are all in this together!

Tell me what your favorite veggie is and how you like to eat it. Mine is cucumber and I can eat it anyway, I LOVE IT!

Sending you all love and healthy wishes!


Keep Losing,
Kari

No comments:

Post a Comment