photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Monday, July 6, 2015

Let's Be Crazy Together

Welcome to Mental Health Monday!  This was born out of a session on Depression, Anxiety and Healthy Living from Fitbloggin’ 15.  Every 1st and 3rd Monday there will be a link up for writers to share their experiences with Mental illness – either from their own experience or from the experience of helping and walking with others.  The goal is to reach out to the world and let people know that they are not alone in their struggles.  You are never alone.  Join us – link up, visit new blogs, support others.  Speak out:  “I am crazy…CRAZY AWESOME!”
I have shared some here about my recent adventures with anxiety. While in Denver at FitBloggin, I cried lots of tears and had a lot of revelations about my emotions and especially the way I treat and talk to and about myself. I'm excited about this link-up. It is way overdue that we start talking about these issues. One biggie for me was realizing that I'm not alone in this. Mental health issues are looked down on as something horrible and negative, when in reality the majority of people deal with mental issues of one kind or another. And it is an illness, just like cancer or diabetes. Many times we "crazy" people are told to just get over it. Would you say that to someone who was diagnosed with cancer? It is time for the stigmas attached to mental illness to stop. It is time we are accepted exactly how we are and not made to feel like we are less than worthy because of our issues. 

So that was not what I had planned to write, but it came out so it must be important. 

What I really wanted to share was this list of words that describe how I feel a lot of days, words I tell myself and words I know a lot of us deal with everyday. 

Fat
Ugly
Worthless
Lazy
Crazy
Isolated
Lonely
Unworthy 
Tired
Hopeless
Ashamed
Embarrassed
Unmotivated
Unstylish
Unpopular
Disgusting
Obese
Unattractive 
Undeserving
Disaster

I think I could go on and on and on with this lost, but you get the point. We are so hard on ourselves. 

Would we walk up to another person and say any of those things to them when they are struggling?

No, then why do we bully ourselves like we do?

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. I'm working on it everyday. I'm not ashamed to say that I'm taking medication and getting counseling for my anxiety and self-hate. 

This session at FitBloggin has opened the door for us to start talking about these issues more. And the token we received is my anchor each and every time I start to use those words on the list. 
Losing weight and getting in shape will mean nothing if my insides are still broken. This journey is about so much more than just losing pounds and I'm just figuring that out. 

I encourage you to follow this link-up and read the posts others are writing about this issue. 

WE ARE NOT ALONE!

Sending you all love and healthy wishes!

Keep Losing,
Kari



6 comments:

  1. Wow! I think I use at least one word in that list to describe myself on a daily basis! Loving myself is hard sometimes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari I wish you could see yourself as I see you - beautiful, compassionate, vibrant and amazing. I am honored to be your friend. Keep sharing, keep talking. Together we got this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I know I use words on that list too and it's so silly. I'm so glad you're working on self-love. I think you are amazing! I hope you keep sharing. It is easier with the support of others :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why do the ugly words come so easily to us but yet we struggle with compliments? Just another free gift that comes bundled with depression - ugh. I'm so glad you wrote about this because you're absolutely right that the more we publicize mental illness the closer we come to a broader understanding of what we deal with every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful
    Funny
    Kind
    Loving
    Accepting
    Friendly
    Warm
    Caring
    These are just a few of the words that pop into to my head when I think about you. That's what I see when I see you. Maybe on days when you are being particularly harsh with yourself take a moment and ask yourself if others see these things in my why can't i? then acknowledge how awesome you truly are. Because that is the TRUTH! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right it will mean nothing fixing the outside if we dont fix the inside too.

    ReplyDelete