photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Monday, October 27, 2014

Monday Menu Share and A Tough Diagnosis


Health problems have seem to be increasing for me over the years.  Seems like I just deal with something and then something else hits me.  FEELS OVERWHELMING!  Even harder is that I have no visible, outside disability and feel like a hypochondriac at times with all my aches, pains and emotions.

 After many, many tests, x-rays, CT Scans, MRI's, Spinal Taps, Ultrasounds, Sleep Studies, etc I finally have an answer (maybe), but one with not much of a treatment.  My doctors have diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia.  Now there is  A LOT  of controversy over this condition.  Some people even believe it is just an excuse for being lazy, but I am a living example of someone who is suffering from a very invisible disease that affects every aspect of every day of your life.

From WEBMD:

What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?

Symptoms of fibromyalgia include:
Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms, or tightness
Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy
Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep
Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long
Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks ("fibro fog")
Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome)
Tension or migraine headaches
Jaw and facial tenderness
Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold
Feeling anxious or depressed
Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet
Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder)
Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet

Fibromyalgia symptoms may intensify depending on the time of day -- morning, late afternoon, and evening tend to be the worst times. Symptoms may also get worse with fatigue, tension, inactivity, changes in the weather, cold or drafty conditions, overexertion, hormonal fluctuations.


I can honestly say that I feel EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE SYMPTOMS and is it overwhelming just to get out of bed some days. 

I am trying a few medical prescription treatments and a few natural treatments to help my symptoms even though there is no cure for the actual disease.  I will be sharing more as I learn more and have some results to share.  I am just really learning more about this even though I was diagnosed almost a year ago I refused to believe that I HAD THIS, but after a year of suffering it is obvious that there is something wrong with my body.

I don't want anyone to feel pity for me or to feel sorry for me.  I am not the only one suffering from this crippling disease.  But, I do ask for your understanding.  If I am not a good friend, a good mom, a good wife, a good sister, a good daughter, If I seem to ignore you or seem standoffish, please give me a break and maybe even some encouragement.  

I LOVE YOU AND APPRECIATE YOU ALL and I feel like this is an additional link in my journey that may help others out there dealing with the same things.

AND, I am also announcing today that I have finally decided that I am going to continue with Weight Watchers.  I have had so much success on the program and it is very adaptable to the types of foods I want to nourish my body with.  I am going to play around with the simply filling technique this week and I will let you know how it goes.  I plan on returning to meetings this week (even though I KNOW the scale will be up about 20 pounds), I have to start again sometime right?

And now for the return of my Monday Menu Share!
On the menu for dinner this week:

Monday: grilled burgers, sweet potato fries, green beans
Tuesday: spaghetti and salad
Wednesday: baked pork chops, oven roasted potatoes, steamed veggies
Thursday: cinnamon-saffron chicken with couscous, steamed broccoli
Friday: Halloween and Football night - will probably eat Subway
Saturday: chili
Sunday: baked ham, mashed potatoes, green beans

And last, but not least here is today's workout:

And my boys and I got out and took a walk on this beautiful 80 degree day in November! Not many more of these days left this year!

That is it for today friends!

Sending you all love and healthy wishes!

Keep Losing,
Kari

Share something your family will enjoy for dinner this week!





1 comment:

  1. I know a few other people with fibromyalgia. It is one of those invisible diseases but more and more people are being diagnosed with an invisible disease. People need to take them all seriously. Thanks for sharing your heart. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you to do.:-)

    ReplyDelete