photo facebook_zpsbd584b7e.png photo twitter_zps2342056c.png photo instagram_zpse3b8b782.png photo timblr_zps0d8e5c01.png photo pinterest_zps13deeb81.png photo linkedin_zps4e8451fd.png photo googleplus_zps2cb7ea78.png

Thursday, September 10, 2015

What has society become?



I'm saddened tonight by a growing trend in our culture. 

Since when did so many people enjoy putting other people down?

When did society say that only a good time can be had when we are mocking, criticizing, and belittling other people?

And I'm not just talking about YouTube stars who are ranting on and on about fat people. I'm talking people right in your own communities, in your schools, in your churches, in your workplaces, in your home. 

It has become acceptable and even applauded when others are bringing people down. Why? Is it really funny to make fun of someone who you don't really even know?

This was brought on by a trip to the local bakery/coffee house after picking the boys up at school. The entire place was filled with kids from our local high school. I was appalled at the things I heard them say about people I know and care about. 

I'm upset with myself tonight after not confronting them and asking them these questions:

Do you really know this person?
Do you know what their home life is like?
Do you know how much they give and do for others?
Do you know the struggles they face everyday?
Why do you think it is ok to giggle and laugh about such mean things?

And then I started thinking about how this has become the norm. This has become entertainment. 

We have to teach our children that it is not okay to get enjoyment out of bringing others down. I know I'm guilty at snickering once in awhile, but I'm really going to try to focus on being more positive every day to every person I meet. 

Just some thoughts. 

Sending you all love and healthy wishes!

Break the chains,
Kari

1 comment: